Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Is this the year 2008?

Does anyone besides me realize it is the year 2008 and the idea of the June Clever/Holly Homemaker wife is completely outdated???

Wake up people...Women this day and age have careers and OUR OWN LIVES outside of our partnership. We were not put on the earth to serve as your chef/maid/whipping post!!!! No matter what your mama's may have told you!

Marriage has enough pressures, but add this expectation to the mix and you may as well dial 1-800-DIVORCE!

I had this chat with my father last week.....it is crazy to think that you can spend 100% of your time with your significant other without going insane. This is why you have friends....of course you do things with your partner/spouse that you enjoy, but hey....on Sunday morning you can bet I don't want to hit the golf course for 18 holes. And yeah, some Friday nights I would rather have dinner with some girlfriends and go out dancing. News flash...everyone needs space...time to take care of themselves. ME TIME!

I lost ME a long time ago. I was raised as a spoiled brat...I am still a spoiled brat....I am always going to be a spoiled brat. But after I got married and had kids I went from being #1, and it being all about me, to getting knocked down to #4. And let me tell you ...#4 sucks donkey balls! I think alot of women fall into this pattern or whatever you want to call it...kids come first, then the husband and if there is any sort of time left (which I am the first to tell you there isn't) you get time for you. Everyone deserves ME TIME! And it has been just recently that I realized this and I am fighting for it tooth and nail! My husband doesn't seem to understand why I need this time to myself....umm hello I have been home with the kids for almost 5 years.....7 days a week. I dont get breaks, no lunch hour, I don't get to clock out at 5:00. WTF do you mean you don't understand? And don't get me wrong I am sure it is a struggle to get out of bed and go to work even when you feel like complete shit because you know you are the only one bringing in any sort of income....but jesus....take time for yourself as well. I am the first to tell my husband to set a tee time or go have some beers with the boys. He chooses not to and I have decided I am no longer going to feel guilty about me choosing to take MY TIME!

Lots of rants lately...sorry about that. But I need to get it all out somewhere because obviously the things I am saying my husband chooses to ignore!

-Abi

No comments: